Jun 18, 2024  
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke 2017-2018 Catalog 
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke 2017-2018 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Scholarships, Awards, Grants, Loans

Scholarships and Awards

Scholarships, including endowed scholarships, are provided by donors to the University: Friends, alumni, corporations and foundations have provided funds to aid students in the pursuit of academic achievement. A wide range of endowed scholarships is available, some with specific restrictions. Endowed scholarships are available in these categories:

Alumni Sponsored Scholarships
General Scholarships
Departmental Scholarships
Specialized Scholarships

Other awards, including many non-endowed scholarships, are also available.

For application information, a student is encouraged to contact the Office of Financial Aid or the Chair of the Department in his or her major field.

For a complete listing of scholarships and awards, see Appendix B .

For further information about specific scholarships, their donors, and their honorees, please consult the Office of Advancement.

Special Awards

Special awards are presented to recognize outstanding graduating seniors. Currently there are awards in the Social Work Program and the Teaching Fellows Program.


Grants are provided by state and national agencies.

North Carolina Grants

Funds for grants allocated by the North Carolina Legislature are made available on an annual basis to residents of North Carolina in attendance at UNC Pembroke. These grants vary in amount according to students’ demonstrated need.

Federal Pell Grants

This program is for students who have financial need. The U.S. Government establishes the amount of financial assistance a student may receive under the Pell Grant Program on the basis of need. These grants are awarded upon enrollment in good standing in an institution of higher education. Applications are available in the University’s Financial Aid Office and any high school guidance counselor’s office. To apply for a Pell Grant a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. A Student Aid Report will be sent to the student’s home address.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants

The purpose of this program is to provide Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants to students who have demonstrated exceptional need and who would be unable to enter or remain in college without such assistance. Recipients must show academic or creative promise. The grant may be renewed for each year of undergraduate study for a period of up to four years if the student continues to qualify for assistance. Students must reapply each year.

Vocational Rehabilitation Scholarships

Students who have disabilities which constitute vocational handicaps are eligible for scholarships from the North Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department. For information, qualified students should write to the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation, Raleigh, NC.


Loans are available through federal and state programs as well as through private donors.

Federal Perkins Loan

Assistance is available in the form of loans which bear no interest while the student is enrolled at least half-time in an institution of higher education. Interest begins to accrue at the rate of five (5) percent and payment begins nine months after the borrower ceases to be enrolled in at least a half-time course of study. Repayment may be extended over a period of ten years as long as a minimum repayment of $40 per month or $120 per quarter is made.

Loans are made to entering freshmen and transfer students who are enrolled as regular students and to returning students who are in good academic standing and who can demonstrate financial need. The Perkins Loan program is funded by the federal government.

Federal Stafford Loan Program

Subsidized: Based on financial need, these are low-interest loans made by lenders such as banks, credit unions or savings and loan associations and insured by state guaranty agencies. Loan limits are based on need and grade level.

Non-Subsidized: These loans are not based on need. Interest accrues to the borrower beginning on the date of disbursement by the lender. The borrower is responsible for the interest during in-school and deferment periods.

Undergraduate students must be enrolled for at least six (6) semester hours in order to be eligible for a Stafford Loan. Graduate students must be enrolled for three (3) semester hours. All students must submit the FAFSA form and a loan application in order to be considered for a loan.

N.C. State Scholarship Loan Fund for Prospective Teachers

Students desiring loans of this type should make applications to the North Carolina State Department of Public Instruction, Raleigh, North Carolina. This fund provides as much as $2500 per year in financial aid for a prospective teacher. Repayment of the loan is canceled for recipients who teach four years in North Carolina public schools.

Student Loan Funds Provided by Donors

A student with special financial needs may approach the Financial Aid Office for information about loan services provided by donors to the university. The Office of Advancement has additional information about the donors of these loans and their honorees.