Jul 22, 2024  
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke 2017-2018 Catalog 
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke 2017-2018 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Employment, Veteran’s Benefits

Student Employment

The student employment programs help eligible students pay University expenses while attending classes full time. Students participating in the programs are employed with the Maintenance Department, Library, Cafeteria, Switchboard, Administrative and Departmental Offices, and Laboratories.

The student employment programs consist of the University Self-Help Program and the Federal Work-Study Program, which is a federal assistance program. To participate in the programs, a student must have a completed application for aid on file in the Financial Aid Office. To participate in the Federal Work Study Program, a student must demonstrate financial need. In addition, DIRECT DEPOSIT is required as a condition for all employment at UNCP.

A student’s work schedule will depend upon class schedules and can be arranged by the student and the student’s work supervisor. These jobs provide learning opportunities as well as financial aid.

All opportunities for on-campus student employment are listed on the Brave Opportunities system, which can be accessed by going to the Career Center website (www.uncp.edu/career) and clicking the link to “On-Campus Student Employment” on the right of the screen.

Veterans’ Benefits

Vocational Rehabilitation

Veterans who enter the University under Chapter 31, Title 38, U.S. Code, Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Veterans, and have the approval of the Veterans Administration will have their University fees paid directly to the University by the U.S. Government.

GI Bill

Veterans eligible for the G.I. Bill, Chapter 30, Title 38, U.S. Code effective October 19, 1984, and Chapter 32, Title 38, United States Code, effective January 1, 1977, must make application for their benefits. For information regarding eligibility, or application forms, contact the Veterans Administration, Regional Office, 251 North Main Street, Winston-Salem, N.C. or the Financial Aid Office, University of North Carolina at Pembroke. Transfer students on the G.I. Bill should complete VA Form 21E-1955, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, prior to the time they plan to transfer.

Veterans eligible for the Post-9/11, Chapter 33, Title 38, U.S. Code effective June 30, 2008, must also make application for their benefits prior to the time they plan to use their benefits. The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. A veteran must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Once the veteran is enrolled, he/she must attend classes regularly to continue receiving benefits and must notify the Veteran Certifying Official in the Office of Financial Aid of any changes in program or enrollment status.

NC National Guard, Chapter 106

Upon enlistment in the North Carolina National Guard, students will be eligible to apply for up to $1000 per year tuition assistance. The Tuition Assistance Program was established by the North Carolina Legislature to provide educational assistance for members of the North Carolina National Guard. For further information students can write to:

Educational Opportunities, Att: AGRR
4105 Reedy Creek Road
Raleigh, NC 27607

Veteran Dependents

Children of disabled or deceased veterans may receive financial assistance in the payment of tuition, room, meals, and other required University fees. For information and application forms, students should write to the North Carolina Department of Veterans Affairs, Raleigh, N.C.

Chapter 35, Title 38, U.S. Code provides for the training of sons, daughters, spouses, and widows of veterans who died in service; who died as a result of a service-connected disability; who became permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability; or who have been listed as missing in action, captured, detained, or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.

Students enrolling under provisions of Chapters 30, 32, 35 and 106 will pay fees at the time of registration and receive a monthly education and training allowance from the Veterans Administration. Since the first check is usually delayed, a veteran or dependent should make arrangements as early as possible.

Transfer of Post-9/11 (Chapter 33) GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB) will assist a spouse and or child with educational expenses. Upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with VA by completing VA Form 22-1990e. VA Form 22-1990e should only be completed and submitted to VA by the family member after DoD has approved the request for TEB. VA Form 22-1990e should not be used to apply for TEB.