The University of North Carolina Pembroke 2014-2015 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies Program
Director: James W. Robinson
Associate Director: Victor Bahhouth
Interdisciplinary Studies Council
||Kevin S. Freeman
|Edwin "Cliff" Mensah
||John E. Spillan
The Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies (BIS) program is exclusively designed for learners with at least two years of transferable credit from institutions other than UNCP, who hold either Associate in Applied Arts or Associate in Applied Science degrees. The program serves adult students, in particular, who seek a broad, more flexible degree program to help them to advance or become more established in their careers or to improve their understanding of the world around them.
The BIS is intended for a set of diverse students who bring to the university many academic, personal, and work-related experiences. They may choose the BIS program because (1) they are aware that they are more employable in many occupations with the degree, (2) that learning in the arts and sciences and in a field of specialization leads to understanding and empowerment, and (3) they review their personal plans and recognize that they can effectively meet their most important goals for a bachelor's degree through the BIS.
BIS Completion Requirements
The Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies degree requires that a student:
- Hold an Associate in Applied Arts or an Associate in Applied Science degree from a two year institution upon program admission.
- Meet The University of North Carolina at Pembroke's general education core requirements.
- Complete a course of study in a specific Interdisciplinary Studies Major with an earned average grade point of 2.0 or better for the courses taken. At least 25 per cent of the total credit requirements for any particular Interdisciplinary Studies Major must be taken from one or more Academic Departments at The University of North Carolina at Pembroke (UNCP). Only 60 credit hours may be transferred from two-year institutions (including 30 hours credit awarded for completion of Applied Associate degree from such institution). The number of credit hours permitted from any department, school, or college of UNCP will be restricted by discipline specific accreditation standards.
- Transfer or take a balance of elective or support courses to meet the total credit requirements of any particular Interdisciplinary Studies Major.
- Complete all other requirements for baccalaureate graduation at The University of North Carolina at Pembroke.
- Two thirds of all Major and Track courses taken toward the BIS degree must be from UNCP.
- College credit in lieu of lifelong learning/experiential learning will not be granted.
Interdisciplinary Minor (open to all students)
- Applied Information Technology, Operations Management, B.I.S.
- Applied Professional Studies, Advertising, B.I.S.
- Applied Professional Studies, Allied Health Leadership, B.I.S.
- Applied Professional Studies, Economic Development, B.I.S.
- Applied Professional Studies, Financial Administration, B.I.S.
- Applied Professional Studies, Health Promotion, B.I.S.
- Applied Professional Studies, Office Administration, B.I.S.
- Criminal Justice, Applied Information Technology, B.I.S.
- Criminal Justice, Forensics, B.I.S.
- Criminal Justice, Sociology, B.I.S.
- Hospitality, Resort, Hotel and Restaurant Administration, B.I.S.
- Public and Non-Profit Administration, Allied Health Administration, B.I.S.
- Public and Non-Profit Administration, Communications, B.I.S.
- Public and Non-Profit Administration, Financial Administration, B.I.S.
- Public and Non-Profit Administration, General, B.I.S.
- Public and Non-Profit Administration, Spanish, B.I.S.